CCB Registered Carers | My Super Nanny

Show me the money!

The Child Care Rebate; tricky to understand at the best of times.

We've done some reading for you and pulled the most important/relevant pieces.


  • The child care rebate (other than another confusing government benefit!) is financial assistance for families using child care.
  • You can claim up to 50% of your child care fees.
  • The maximum amount you can claim is $7,500 per financial year, per child (e.g. $15k for 2 kids).
  • It is not means tested!
  • Do you receive Child Care Benefit (CCB) or Child Care Fee Assistance (CCFA)? If yes, this amount will be deducted from the total expenses you are claiming. This avoids double dipping into government benefits.
  • To get the Child Care Rebate you need to apply for the Child Care Benefit – yes, you read correctly!

To receive CCR you need to claim CCB for approved child care, even if the benefit is zero dollars ($0).

  • You do not need to lodge a separate claim for Child Care Rebate. You will automatically be assessed when you claim CCB for approved care.
  • To be eligible for the CCB, you must use a registered child care service, be responsible for paying child care fees, meet residency requirements, and your child must be immunised – without getting too political, it isn’t a bad way to enforce immunisation! 


  1. Ensure you are eligible for the Child Care Rebate & the Child Care Benefit
  2. Apply for the child care benefit first:
    1. read the conditions
    2. decide how you will submit your claim, online or in person
    3. provide supporting documentation
    4. submit your claim
    5. await claim assessment
    6. decide how you will receive your payment
    7. once all approved, Centrelink will make the payments as soon as they receive your child’s attendance from your child care service.


Child care is not just about providing care when you have work, study or other commitments. It can provide early learning services, get your child school ready, and is an opportunity for your child to develop social, emotional and learning skills.

Making a decision on whether you need child care, and the right type of child care for you can be daunting! To help you out, we’ve stipulated the things you need to consider:

  • How many hours of care do I need? The whole day? Just mornings? Just afternoons? Just a few hours a week? Or just occasionally, like when I have an appointment and need someone to look after my children?
  • What is the total weekly cost of those hours, and how does that compare to my total weekly wage?
  • Do I want my child cared for in a home environment or in a centre?
  • What kind of qualifications and experience do staff members have?
  • Does the service offer a preschool programme?
  • What learning and play opportunities do I want my child to have?
  • Do I want my child to have a few peers, or many peers?
  • What is the carer-to-child ratio?
  • What kind of routine will my child have?
  • What is their ‘ready for school’ programme?
  • Do I want the service to provide lunch? Can I have a look at a sample meal plan?
  • Does the centre provide nappies and other amenities for children under the age of 2?
  • Can I claim the Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate if I choose a certain child care and learning service?
  • Does the child care benefit and/or child care rebate provide the additional financial support required for me to go back to work or study?

We suggest you weigh up the pros and cons on whether or not you require child care, and the type of child care required before making your decision.

We have also developed a list of the types of care available below... 


The government has a more detailed fact sheet which can also help you make this big decision. It can be found here:


Making a decision on the right type of child care can be daunting! To help you out, we’ve stipulated the types of child care available & the benefits of each.



What is it? Pre-schools, child care centres, and early learning centres are examples of long day care. They commonly offer extended hours (usually between 7:30am & 6pm), early learning programmes, and are centre-based – i.e. in a single purpose building.

The benefits? Benefits of long day care include early learning programmes, extended hours of operation, include the children’s meals, and are approved child care services. Being an approved child care service means they are recognised by the government for benefit purposes and have met certain quality standards. Find out if your service is approved here:



What is it? Family Day care services are home-based care and education services. In most cases you drop your child at the carer’s home. To become a qualified family day carer and manage this type of care from home, the carer must meet their obligations under the National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education and Care, and comply with the Early Childhood Services Education and Care National Law and National Regulations.

The benefits? Family day care is usually administered by a parent who is also caring for their own children at home. The child to carer ratio is low, the hours are very flexible, and the majority of Family Day Carers are approved child care services. Being an approved child care service means they are recognised by the government for benefit purposes and have met certain quality standards. Find out if your service is approved here:



What is it? In Home Care is when a carer comes to your place. This type of care is usually sourced when other forms of care are not suitable – e.g. you have a child with a disability, the guardian has a disability or illness, the guardian works night shifts, etc.

The benefits? This type of care is beneficial for those in extenuating circumstances.


Did you know? You can refine your search on My Super Nanny to only look for a Registered Carer, by choosing 'Necessities' and clicking 'Registered Carer with the Family Assistance Office'.


Browse Registered Carers




What is it? Outside School Hours Care is relatively self-explanatory! This is care offered before and after school (7:30 am -9:00 am and 3:00 pm -6:00 pm), for school aged children. In most cases the guardian works 9am-5pm and therefore cannot meet the usual drop off and pick up times.

The benefits? OOSH is usually subsidised which means it is extremely cost effective. They usually offer a snack, exercise programmes, games, time for homework, and it is run by the school. The majority of OOSH programmes are approved child care services. Find out if your service is approved here:



The dollar amount you can claim through the child care rebate varies significantly by family.  We’ve pulled out the key influential factors:

To avoid ‘double dipping’ the government does not allow all families to claim the full rebate amount.

If you receive the child care benefit (CCB) or child care fee assistance (CCFA) you are already receiving a ‘rebate’ for child care.

If you already receive one of these benefits, you will have the benefit amount deducted from the claim. E.g. if you receive $100 for the child care benefit, $100 will be removed from your claim.

What is the claim amount?

The claim covers child care fees only. They are referred to as ‘expenses’ on the government site, but don’t let this fool you! Car trips to your pre-school don’t count as an expense.

How much can I be rebated?

The rebate is for 50% of your child care expenses (child care fees only) with a maximum of $7,500 per financial year, per child.

Click here for your Centrelink estimate, but we’ve also done a quick summary for you below:

  • If you have one child, and the child care expenses (less the CCB & CCFA) are:
    • $7,500 per financial year, you could be rebated 50% or $3,250
    • $10,000 per financial year, you could be rebated 50% or $5,000
    • $15,000 per financial year, you could be rebated 50% or $7,500 (maximum)
  • If you have two children, and the child care expenses (less the CCB & CCFA) are:
    • $20,000 per financial year, you could be rebated 50% or $10,000
    • $30,000 per financial year, you could be rebated 50% or $15,000 (maximum)

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? Child care rebate and Child care benefit? 

Finding all these benefits confusing? We did too! Here is a quick explanation of the CCB & CCR.


Child Care Benefit – reduce the costs of fees

  • Child Care Benefit is a means-tested payment which reduces the cost of your total child care fees.
  • It is available if you are a parent, foster parent or grandparent with a child in your care.
  • The child must be attending approved child care.
  • There are certain eligibility requirements to receive the CCB:
    • Your child must be attending approved child care or registered child care (check here:
    • You or your partner must meet the residency requirements
    • Your child must meet immunisation requirements
    • You must be the person responsible for paying the child care fees

Child Care Rebate – rebates a portion of child care fees

  • The Child Care Rebate is additional assistance if you use Child Care Benefit approved child care.
  • You must be working, studying or training at some time during the week, or have an exemption.
  • The Child Care Rebate covers 50 per cent of your out-of-pocket costs up to the annual limit; $7500 per child per year.
  • It is not means tested – you can claim regardless of your income.
  • You have the option to receive your Child Care Rebate paid fortnightly, either directly to your bank account, or through your child care service provider as a fee reduction. You also have the option of having your Child Care Rebate paid quarterly or annually as a lump sum directly to your bank account.
    • Note: To receive Child Care Rebate as an annual lump sum you must also choose to receive Child Care Benefit as a lump sum.
    • There are certain eligibility requirements to receive the CCB:
      • You and your partner (if applicable) must have had work, training, study related commitments (or have an exemption) at some time during the week care is provided.
      • You must be using approved child care.
      • You or your partner must be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident living in Australia or be exempted from the Australian Government’s residency requirements.
      • Children under seven years of age must meet the Australian Government’s immunisation requirements or have an exemption.
      • You must be the one responsible for your child care costs. If your employer contributes to your child care through salary sacrificing or packaging, you should discuss with them who is responsible for the cost.


Browse Registered Carers


For more details from the government site, please click here:

Profile Picture X
Drag a profile photo here
Select an Image JPG, JPEG, GIF or PNG image
Uploading ( 50% )
Profile Picture X