| Posted by Healthy Groms
Do you need an activity to keep your kids entertained these school holidays!
Try making some good old Play Dough. Its so simple and easy to make.
The Kids Spot have a whole range of different recipes that are edible for the kids and even a gluten free recipe!
- 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 180ml (3 tbsp) oil
- 500ml (2 cups) boiling water
- food colouring
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, mixing to form rough breadcrumbs.
- Next add the boiling water and once combined knead the ingredients on a clean surface until they form the silky dough.
- Set aside the dough and cover your clean workbench with cling wrap.
- Divide silky dough into even portions for colouring.
- Add 1/2 tsp food colouring colour at a time –increasing the quantity if needed to make a vibrant, richer colour.
- Wearing gloves knead the colouring into the dough.
- Use straightaway or put in the fridge for later.
- Be careful as the boiling water increases the temperature of the dough and can be too hot to hold at times, you may want to use a utensil to do the initial mix.
- If the dough is too sticky when kneading, add a little flour. If it is too dry, add a little water. These amounts must be minimal additions as it's best not to upset the balance between ingredient quantities.
- It is not absolutely necessary to wear gloves, most food colouring washes off with hot soapy water.
- Store in cling wrap, ziplock bags or an airtight container.