| Posted by Healthy Groms
How fun and delicious are roll-ups? But how bad is all the sugar that is in them... Here is a recipe you can make at home with the kids and know exactly what is going in them. No harmful sugars, all nautral from the fruits. You can find other great healthy recipes on the Parenting.com website.
- 4 cups frozen mixed fruit
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey, if using tart berries
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until the fruit is soft and the liquid has thickened.
- Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor. Carefully blend until smooth.
- Line dehydrator sheets with parchment paper. Pour half of the fruit mixture through a fine-mesh sieve onto one tray and half onto the other. Use a spatula to lightly spread the mixture evenly, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place in the dehydrator for 3 hours at 150°F. If using an oven, bake on the lowest setting for 4 to 5 hours. Rotate trays midway through.
- Cut the paper and fruit into 1-inch strips using scissors. Roll them up tightly and keep in an airtight container for a week.
Times may vary. Fruit strips are done when they are no longer sticky when you touch them lightly with your finger. If the edges get a little too brittle and dry, brush a tiny bit of water over them to rehydrate.
Mixed berries work well, or create a tropical version with a mix of mango, pineapple and peaches.